A Broke College Student's Top 5 Stores for Bargain Shopping in NYC
posted by LIM College
Times are tough when you are a broke college student. Times are even tougher when you are a broke college student who loves to shop for new clothes. As a student at LIM, looking fabulous is practically an entry requirement. However, it can be tough to look great when you don’t have a lot (or in my case, any) money to spend on new clothes. But have no fear because I am going to let you in on my secret shopping spots where you can find great clothes for even greater prices!
1. Century 21 - I have a love/hate relationship with this store; I hate it because it is always so crowded with tourists, yet I love it because you can find some great bargains on designer clothes. From dresses to shoes to handbags, you will definitely be able to find something that is an absolute steal. What’s even better about this place is that they are constantly getting new merchandise, so shopping never gets boring! But just be forewarned…you should probably practice maneuvering around gawking tourists before you shop here.
2. H&M - Even though these stores are everywhere, I still love shopping here when I am trying to dress on a dime. They have a great mix of merchandise since some things cost $100 while others cost $20. I like going here to buy jeans and party dresses, since they usually cost around $40 each. Also, they constantly have clearance sections here so you might get lucky and walk out with a great find that only cost $10!
3. Beacon’s Closet – This store requires a trip to Brooklyn but trust me, it is totally worth the subway ride. There are two locations, one in Williamsburg and the other one in Park Slope. My favorite is the one in Williamsburg because it is like a huge warehouse of cheap clothes that are just waiting to be found! The place is so big that it is kind of overwhelming, so if you are looking for something specific, you really do need to spend at least half the day here. However, you will be greatly rewarded because there are some great things to be found here. Once, I found a hardly worn pink Marc by Marc Jacobs party dress for $50…yes, I was shocked too.
4. Buffalo Exchange – This store is also in Brooklyn and is conveniently located right around the corner from Beacon’s Closet. This place is a lot smaller, but they still have a great selection. Also, this place is super organized which makes the search for great clothes a little bit easier. They also have awesome accessories and a great selection of shoes.
5. PeachFrog – I’m not sure how to classify this store as anything but awesome! It’s not a vintage store, but they sell overstocked or last season’s merchandise. This store was even featured in the New York Times. They always have different brands and have really fun weekly events and discounts. I once bought a brand new Betsey Johnson dress for only $50. Yes, a totally brand new dress with hang tags that said it was originally $350…can you say major score?