Five Reasons LIM Internships Are Life-Changingly Amazing
We really can’t say it enough: We love internships. And don’t worry, our students do, too. On average, LIM students take on three internships during their studies—and often request more. Why are they so life-changingly amazing?
Here are six reasons.
1. New York City is at your fingertips. Fashion is happening here, and it’s happening first. With more than 5,000 industry showrooms and studios, New York Fashion Week, and The Garment District, NYC is at the forefront of fashion innovation. We don’t want to brag, but we’d say there’s no better place to be an intern than in the fashion capital of the world. And with fashionable people at every corner, the streets are like a runway in itself. You'll find fashion inspiration on your way to your internship.
2. Discover what you love. We’ll assume you’re as obsessed with the business of fashion as we are, but you may still be searching for your niche. And that’s totally OK! Multiple internships can show you what you do—and don’t—like. (Check out our Q&A with alum Stefani O’Sullivan. She interned at six different spots, and found her passion in marketing at her later internships at Elie Tahari and Chanel—which helped lead to her job as Assistant Manager of Events at Chanel.)
3. It’s a networking shoe-in. Interning is your time to get connected and stay connected. Whether you’re following your writer idols in Cosmo or discovering how the Italian luxury fashion powerhouse Fendi succeeds, there’s one thing for sure: You’ll be surrounded by the most important people in the industry, including those associated with your dream job.
4. We have a growing alumni community. How does that help you? Put LIM on your resume and see what doors begin to open. From Tommy Hilfiger and Estee Lauder to Bustle and Refinery29, our students are working all over the world. The best part: They’ve been in your shoes, and know how important internships are at LIM. And you have access to Symplicity, an online database for finding the perfect internship.
5. Jobs? Our students land them. A recent report by iCIMS said 93% of employers believe all new college grads need internships—and 35% said students should have three or more. Having multiple internships on your resume will always make you stand out to employers. And with our unbelievable industry connections (and alumni!), more often than not our graduates are offered permanent positions from their internships.
Match those internships with an LIM education taught by fashion industry leaders and our graduates are more than prepared to take the fashion world by storm.
Ready to learn more?
Topics: Career Pathing Internship