Travel and Transport around LIM College
posted by LIM College
by Nicole Heaney
Railroads, subways, buses and Uber are some of the ways to navigate New York City. One of the most challenging parts of moving to NYC or even commuting from home is figuring out how to get from place to place. It all may seem super overwhelming at first but in time you will know the Big Apple like the back of your hand.
- Even though it may seem quicker, taking the subway or the bus to get from building to building will most likely take longer than walking.
Walking, Maxwell Hall is about 10 minutes away from the Fifth Avenue building and 15 minutes away from The Townhouse. Walking between the Fifth Avenue building and The Townhouse takes about 10 minutes.
- Use Gett instead of Uber.
Gett is an app that is similar to Uber except it is an $8 flat rate anywhere in Manhattan below 110th street! Definitely a cheaper option.
- Take the 6 train from 1760 to The Townhouse, the Fifth Avenue building, and Maxwell Hall.
This is the quickest way to get to class from the Residence Hall. The subway station is on the corner of 96th Street. Take the 6 train to 51st Street for the Townhouse and to Grand Central for Maxwell Hall and the Fifth Avenue building.
- If you’re running late the 4 and 5 trains run express and will get you to class quicker.
Take the 6 train to 86th Street and change for the 4 or the 5 OR, walk to 86th Street. Take the 4 or 5 train to the 59th Street stop for the Townhouse and to Grand Central for Fifth Avenue or Maxwell.
- REMEMBER! When coming from the Residence Hall you are going downtown to get to class and uptown to go back to 1760.
Just think you are going “down to school” and “up to home.”
- The M101, M102 and M103 buses go between 1760 and each of the school buildings.
The bus is a good alternative if the subways are delayed or aren’t running. Take the bus on Lexington to go downtown and the bus on Third Avenue to go uptown.
- If you are coming in from Port Authority or Penn Station, there are a few subways you can take.
To get to the Fifth Avenue building or Maxwell from Port Authority walk to 42nd and Seventh Avenue and take the 7 train or the Shuttle to Grand Central to get to the Fifth Avenue building or Maxwell. To get to the Townhouse, take the E directly from Port Authority.
To get to the Fifth Avenue building or Maxwell take the 1, 2, or 3 train from Penn Station to Times Square and catch the Shuttle to Grand Central or the 7 train to Fifth Avenue (to go to the Fifth Avenue building) or Grand Central (to go to Maxwell).
If you're at Penn Station and want to get to The Townhouse walk towards the A, C, E, subway line on Eighth Avenue and take the E train.
- Download Google Maps, Embark NYC, and SafeTrek.
Google Maps is great if you’re lost, Embark NYC is an app that can help you figure out which subway or bus you need to take and SafeTrek is an app that will help you feel safer if you are out late at night. (If you are feeling unsafe open the app and keep your finger on the button. If all is clear, release the button and put in your pin. If you release the button without putting in your pin, the police will be sent to your location. SafeTrek costs $2.99 per month.)
These would be your quickest options on how to make it toclass on time if you’re a commuter student. Once you are at Grand Central all of the buildings are in walking distance.