Finding Balance: Tips from a Fashion Student
posted by LIM College
Spring has sprung in New York City and I am welcoming it with open arms!
Hello again my friends! I am back from my break, and let me tell you that being welcomed by warm weather was the perfect pick-me-up. It was just what I needed after spending my “spring” break back home in Spokane, Washington. Let’s just say that I felt as though I was on Winter break 2.0.
With rain, and a bit of snow throughout my stay, it was refreshing to return to New York City and see a forecast of high 60’s and 70’s, as well as flowers and trees in bloom everywhere I turned.
I don’t know about you, but for me, warm weather is a mood booster. It’s like a shot of energy when you feel as though you don’t have any left.
With only 6 weeks of classes remaining until final exams and then summer, the anticipation is building, as the energy is slowly draining. But with sunshine around me and only one last stretch to go, I am pushing through by setting goals and sticking to them. Motivation is my current muse, and I want to share my thoughts on aiming for success when focus and drive is the last thing on your mind.
Every one of us faces a time in our life when we feel that the stress is overwhelming and our To-Do list is far too long. Instead of letting that stress drag you down, look at it this way—if you weren’t stressed, you wouldn’t care. Your anxiety over school and deadlines is a natural reaction to your desire to complete your very best work. With college, and a career in the fashion industry and business in your future, know that stress is inevitable—but also know that through goal setting and a positive mindset, any amount of worry can be overcome.
Here are my quick tips for beating the bad thoughts and bringing in the bright ones! As a future LIM College student, and a lover of fashion, these will help you achieve balance!
- Use your stress as motivation—put everything you have into your work, and envision how good it will feel when a special occasion that you have been looking forward to rolls around, and you can enjoy it that much more because you are proud of yourself!
- Nurture your academics, but never pass up the opportunity to experience and network—finding a balance in your life is key. Make school your top priority, but don’t forget to volunteer and make connections. Those are important for your future, and they will allow you to take a quick breather from schoolwork.
- Cherish the little things—put a quote up on your wall, cook dinner with your friends, or talk to your family for a few minutes. Let the ones that mean the most inspire you to keep pushing on.
- Take some time for you—on the weekend, take a few hours one day and do something you have been wanting to. It will clear your mind, and allow you to focus even more when it’s time to buckle down on those assignments.
- Set mini goals…they’ll help you achieve the BIG ones—take your life day by day. Write a list of things to complete, and cross them off as you go. It will help you feel productive, and keep you motivated.
I can’t wait for you to attend LIM College, and to experience fashion, business, and New York City life on a whole new level. You will learn new things every day, about yourself, about this industry, and about this world. Set goals, get motivated, and GET HERE. You will love it, and through focus and drive you can truly be the best version of yourself. Whatever it may be, don’t procrastinate, just get out there and go for it!
I believe in you xoxo.