Managing internships, work and school can be a balancing act. When it comes to college, always pay attention to your grades. A useful tool is to spread out your homework and projects throughout the week. Once you prioritize your assignments and how much time each requires, you will be able to create a clear schedule of your tasks that need to be finalized.
At work and at your internship, always show initiative and interest in what you are doing. You are there to network and to grow as an employee. Even though you may be busy, make sure that you are always putting time and effort into whatever task you are given. Your time management skills will be greatly impacted as you become more accustomed to a faster paced environment.
The way I juggled these three parts of my schedule was by having each on separate days. You will be less overwhelmed if one day you are at school, the next at your internship and the following at work. You will also be punctual and you can focus on specific tasks.
The undeniable emotion that follows these aspects of life is stress. To make sure that your stress levels are controlled and that you have a limited amount of stress, here are a few tips.
- Make sure to get as much sleep as possible. This will increase your energy and help you to focus on your goals of the day.
- Find an activity that relaxes you. Whether it is working out at the gym or getting coffee with a friend, find an activity that calms you down when you feel overwhelmed.
- Always know what you can and can’t handle. If you have to, minimize your work schedule or take a class the following semester.
- Eat well and drink water often. If you are well nourished, you can concentrate and you will ultimately feel more relaxed.
- Lastly, don’t over-analyze the situation that you are in. You are only human and you may get stressed often, but use this as a positive factor to drive you to success.
At the end of your busy days, make sure that you are enjoying what you are doing. Balancing internships, work and school, can be very difficult but also rewarding. The hard work that you put into your life now, will help you to excel in the future. You should be proud of yourself for being so motivated and for taking that step ahead in the world of fashion!
If you're still feeling stressed out, please go to our Counseling and Wellnes Services page for more information.